EMSI has officially closed its doors. In need of Medical Record Retrieval and more?

Click Here
What Do I Need to Know About Applying for a Marriage License?


What Do I Need to Know About Applying for a Marriage License?

What Do I Need to Know About Applying for a Marriage License?

If you are getting married, it is important to remember the legal aspect as well as the party portion of the event. That means you and your partner heading to the courthouse, city hall, or town office to apply for a marriage license in the presence of a clerk. If you’re wondering what the marriage license is all about and what requirements will need to be met, keep reading!

What are the marriage residency requirements?

In most states, there is no requirement that you must be a resident of the state in order to obtain a marriage license. However, this does vary on a state by state basis so be sure to check before heading to the clerk’s office!

Is there a waiting period?

Different states have different waiting periods after the application has been filed. They are:

  • 1 day: South Carolina
  • 3 days: Alaska, District of Columbia, Florida, Kansas, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Washington
  • 5 days: Minnesota
  • 6 days: Wisconsin

Other states have waiting period requirements after receiving the marriage license. These are:

  • 1 day: Delaware, Illinois, New York
  • 2 days: Maryland
  • 3 days: Iowa, Louisiana, Texas

What if I was previously married?

If you were previously married, you will need to submit proof that you are no longer married and that any and all prior marriages were legally ended. To do this, you will need to bring a divorce decree or summary judgment stating that a prior marriage was ended. These need to be original or certified copies.

What documents do I need to bring with me?

When you apply for a marriage license there are several documents that you will need to bring with you. You will need to present proof of birth facts and identification with your full name and date of birth. This can be completed by presenting a driver’s license, state-issued picture I.D., certified or original copy of your birth certificate, U.S. Passport, foreign passport, or military I.D. You will also need to know your social security number as well. Be sure to check what your state-specific requirements are before heading out to apply for the marriage license.

Can’t find the documents that you need? Let Datafied help locate them!

When it comes time to apply for your marriage license, if you cannot locate the required documents, Datafied can help. Through our division Certified Field Agent, we can locate a certified copy of your birth certificate, divorce decree, or other official documents that you need to apply for your marriage license. With over 27 years of experience, we’ve helped countless individuals locate the documents they need. You can trust us to do the job in a timely and affordable manner while you focus on the details that really matter for your wedding. Give us a call at 800-765-7510 to start the order process.

To learn more about the reliable and quality document retrieval services that we offer, visit us on the web at Certified Field Agent.

Health Insurance Services
Life Insurance Services
Legal Services
Physician Services
Patient Services
Need help? Call our team anytime at 800-765-7510
Datafied Located at
1210 N. Jefferson Street Suite P, Anaheim, CA.
Datafied Logo Phone: 800-765-7510